Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cranium Club

I've seen some things on Pinterest (check it out!) about "Cranium Club."  After doing some more research, I've decided this would be an awesome thing to implement in my classroom to help motivate my students to learn more.

What is it?

Cranium Club is a series of questions from different subjects.  Students must do research to find the answers to these questions and then present their findings to their teacher.  There are typically levels to achieve as students answer more questions.  All teachers do it a little differently and it can be adapted to meet the needs of your classroom.  

How am I implementing it?

Because I only will be teaching math and science, and we have a standardized test to prepare for, I will have 3 subjects:  math, science, and general knowledge.  I'm using other people's lists of questions as inspiration but I'm really going to be creating all of my own questions which are more aligned to the standards in Ohio (we are using the Common Core for math for the first time this year).  I'm currently working on science and I'm making super cute cards (in our school colors) which will be organized on a ring.  *I will be adding these to my Teacher's Notebook store upon finishing them!*  
Students will have to research answers on their own time at home or after finishing their responsibilities in my classroom.  I haven't yet decided for sure how I will go about getting the answers from my students.  I'm thinking about having them keep a Cranium Club notebook or maybe giving them answer sheets to turn in.  I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
Each student will have a record sheet where we will color in the corresponding square when they correctly answer a question.  I'm planning on having levels of achievement from bronze clear to double diamond.  Students will be recognized with a postcard home when they achieve a new level as well as a colored brain on our Cranium Club board in the classroom.  At the end of the year, they'll get a certificate and I'm still trying to come up with the incentive for achieving the highest level possible.  I don't know if we'll do an ice cream party, pizza party, guest speaker...still looking for ideas!

So have you ever done this in your classroom or are you planning on trying it this year?  Do you have any ideas to share with me?  I'd love to hear from you!  

1 comment:

  1. Did you do this yet? I am in Ohio and going to try this in my seventh grade science glass. Did you write terms or actual questions on your cards? I would love to know!

    ReplyDelete